Thursday, March 6, 2008

An Epic Swim For The Ages

In my never ending quest for motivation - how about this....

Scientists have tracked a Leatherback Turtle who has made an amazing 12,774 mile swim from Indonesia to Oregon. It took "The Little Turtle That Could" 647 days....wow! So I did a little math...according to my calculations I think that works out to 1450 yards per hour or about 4 minute hundreds....not all that remarkable until you realize that would require the pace be kept up for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 647 days...miraculous! Assuming our friend the turtle swam 12 hours a day, it would have to swim about a 2:00 hundred pace....not much different than my pace. The turtle just had a lot more stamina that I do .... (ok...no comments about that unless you can outswim the turtle).

So from now on....be a turtle...

3 comments:

Taconite Boy said...

I am the turtle...I am the turtle

Interesting stuff!

FreddyBeachPete said...

Turtles are surely triathletes given this one's swimming ability and the fact that one also was victorious in the turtle-rabbit head-to-head match race.

FBP

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

FYI--you'll definitely want a wetsuit for Cap Tex Tri! Town Lake is chilly (and kinda gross)-but what lake isn't?!? As for brands, I'm no expert, but the most recent Triathlete Mag had a wetsuit addition with best brands!